Hi there. I have created this site so that you my friends, family and sponsors can keep in the loop during my year on the Anastasis - in Ghana and Liberia. I will update it as often as I am able, and hope that you can get the feel of life on board a volunteer hospital ship!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I Have Finally Arrived!

Hello everyone,

Greetings from Tema, Ghana! It was a long and arduous flight to make it here - about 40 hours total - but was greeted at Accra by a friend from the ship, which made the arrival so much nicer!

It is hot and dusty - but trees and vegetation are plentiful. Ghana is soccer mad - with the defeat of the Czechs in the World Cup Match proving a great talking point!



The ship is larger than I thought - and looks great tied up here at the dock. I share my room with two others, and I have already met lots of great people - The head of Surgery Dr Gary Parker has been here for 19 years, and I had lunch today with people who had served on the Anastasis for 8 and 9 years! So you may not see me back as soon as expected.

Well thats all for now - Medical screening of prospective patients starts on Monday - and from there we will begin our surgeries and other outreach programmes including construction and water purification projects. IN the mean time I am attending hundreds of different briefings and orientations - so I am keeping busy! I will post some photos when I figure out how to use the computers here!!

Until then, Soph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home