Hi there. I have created this site so that you my friends, family and sponsors can keep in the loop during my year on the Anastasis - in Ghana and Liberia. I will update it as often as I am able, and hope that you can get the feel of life on board a volunteer hospital ship!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Beautiful Smile

Monrovia Liberia March 28, 2007. A beautiful smile lights up Esther's face. Waving excitedly one last time, sher boards the tiny plane. In just over a week her life has changed dramatically. Memories of a plane flight, a hospital ship, new friends and a brand new smile will stay with her forever.

Born with a cleft lip, 13 year old Esther describes how she grew up being teased and ridiculed by her family and friends. "Everyone used to call me 'tear mouth' Esther explains days earlier as she recovers from surgery on the Mercy Ships hospital ward. Holding a little mirror up to her mouth she then smiles, 'when I saw myself in the mirror for the first time after the operation I was amazed and so happy'.


Twleve year old Carys Parker - daughter of the ships Cheif Medical Officer and Maxillo-Facial Surgeon Dr Gary Parker - sits beside Esther on her hospital bed. Over the past week a friendship has developed between Carys and Esther. Shy at first Esther has gradually grown in confidence.

"I've spent every evening together with Esther" explains Carys, " we've made bracelets together, played games and coloured pictures. I've really enjoyed the time we have spent together."


As Esthers day of departure arrives, the two girls leave behind the coolness of the air-conditioned Mercy Ship and stand together on the dockside. At 8am the temperature is already sweltering. Wearing a new dress and carrying gifts from Carys the two girls say goodbye.

Through a partnership with the Red Cross, Mercy Ships has been able to screen patients all over Liberia. With the use of a small plane patients are being flown to the ship and back again to their home towns.


Having already enjoyed one flight, Esther describes how much she is looking forward to flying again. "We can see everything out of the window of the plane. Trees, bushes, rivers - my country!"

A small bus arrives on the dock to collect the very first group of Mercy Ship patients, and return them to the airport. Sarah, a nurse and a Red Cross Worker jumps out exclaiming "Wow you guys look incredible!"


"I flew down with these guys" Sarah explains, "they were so nervous and quiet. Now it's just wonderful to see them totally transformed. Their smiles look incredible. Praise be to our God!"

At only 13 years of age Esther has lived through years of fighting and civil war. She's witnessed the death of family members. She's suffered ridiculing and teasing because of her cleft lip, yet fresh hope lies ahead.


Initially so solemn and shy, Esther's whole expression is alive and animated as she explains that her remaining family will be so excited to see her. As she waits to board the flight home, her big brown eyes sparkle brightly in the morning sun, and her face breaks into a beautiful smile.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your site. I am a resident in oral and maxillofacial surgery in Toronto Canada and would like to volunteer for Mercy Ships. I am trying to find a contact for Dr Gary Parker and wondered if you might know how I could reach him?

Regards,
Dr. Robin Gallardi
PS My email address is drgallardi@rogers.com

7:42 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home