Hi there. I have created this site so that you my friends, family and sponsors can keep in the loop during my year on the Anastasis - in Ghana and Liberia. I will update it as often as I am able, and hope that you can get the feel of life on board a volunteer hospital ship!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Day in the Life

Hi there - I thought I'd lighten up the mood today with a little bit of info about a day in the life of Sophie Smith on board the ship! So a short photo essay of my day!

Starts of course with waking up - here is my bed and my porthole in cabin 68 on the A deck. I recently moved out of my 6 bedder to this luxurious 3 bed cabin.

From here I roll down the corridor to the dining room where I have my breakfast. Its toast and cereal everyday except for Sunday's - when we have bacon and eggs! Yum. This is the dining room where I eat all of my meals unless we go off the ship to eat.

Then I go to work on the ward. There are three shifts - day, evening and night - and all the ward nurses rotate around these. Here is me being silly on the ward. Ebenezer took this photo.

Depending on the day we might go before or after work to the local markets.....

Or if it is just too hot, and we have had a stressfull day - it is more likely we head up for a dip before dinner in the ships pool!

After dinner on a Thursday we have community meeting/Church - where the whole crew can get together for some praise and worship, listen to a speaker and generally spend some time focusing on why we are here.

After community meeting the majority of the crew head into the Med Lounge for coffee.....

Some serious card games.....

or some ping pong........


And a few nights of the week I have dutch lessons....

Why do I have dutch lessons??? because my gorgeous boyfriend Jan Pieter is dutch of course! Yes you heard it here first, this ship isn't called the love boat for nothing:) JP works for Mercy Ships in the 'Water and Santitation team', and spends his week days drilling wells out in the villages and making me smile!

Well thats fairly typical day for me, hope everyone is doing okay! Soph

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry had no comments. It looked lonely, so I added one. :-)

9:34 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boyfriend, eh? So it's not a wasted trip after all!

JOKING.

seriously, hope things continue to go well. it's amazing to read about it, to be doing it I can only imagine...

;)

10:35 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home